Taken In Hand

Saturday, November 17, 2007

More Alike Than I Realized

Well after an evening of uncertainty and self recrimination, I received some responses from my fellows in the forum.

The crux of my self doubt stemmed from a recent incident with my wife. Our disagreement boiled down to my perception that her recent attitude and behavior had been disrespectful, and her rather forceful argument that I was over reacting and being way too sensitive.

What you need to understand is that my wife is a consummate debater and can be incredibly persuasive. So, while she ultimately accepted and received a punishment, she also succeeded in sewing the seeds of doubt in my mind, leaving me to question my actions.

After reading the comments from the forum, however, I believe that was exactly what she had in mind. The consensus was that her arguments were probably just a last-ditch attempt to get out of a punishment, and, that I needed to remind her that her submission to me, as Head of Household, means accepting my decisions, whether she agrees with them or not. Given my propensity for self doubt, I need to remind myself of this second point as well.

I may not be “hard-wired” for my role, but with a little support from those who are, I believe I can make this work.

No comments: