Taken In Hand

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

From Vanilla to DD, and how it could benefit our communities

Without having been led to this lifestyle by my wife, I would have never known it existed.

I was raised in a conventional home by a very strong woman, and also came of age in the seventies during the height of the women's liberation movement.

My parents, and the community at large, all seemed to endorse the concept of equality in marriage, with the man and woman sharing responsibilities for running the household and raising the kids.

These are the same attitudes I brought into our marriage, which made it very difficult for me to accept, let alone embrace, a dd lifestyle. The concept that I should, "be in charge" while my wife would submit to my decisions, seemed foreign and unfair.

However, the longer we work on this lifestyle, the more value I see in it, not just for us, but for society at large. As a friend pointed out, all organizations, great and small, need a strong leader in order to be successful.

I don't think our community is ready or willing to take the time to understand this lifestyle. Too many would be put off by the concept of discipline, consensual or otherwise. And if they were honest with themselves, I suspect that far too many more would be put off by the amount of work and the acceptance of responsibility required by this type of lifestyle (for both the hoh and the sub).

It's a shame.

I think the self-discipline and personal responsibility inherent in a dd lifestyle would benefit our society greatly. Too often in the news we hear of people who have abdicated their responsibilities, to their children, their family and their fellow citizens. They blame inadequate school systems, bad government, etc.

How much better would our society be if everyone stepped up and took responsibility for their lives and their relationships.

Perhaps someday.........

2 comments:

MaggieDear said...

Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself! I think much of society got lazy somewhere along the way (say, during the bra burning days, maybe) and really wouldn't put that much effort into their relationship. Could by why the divorce rate has hovered around 50% for so many years.

I like your blog, I'll be back!

~Hugs!

MaggieDear said...

Hi, Me again. *g*

I just read your introduction post, and all the others.

If you get a chance, and don't mind, would you do a post on how your wife brought up the d/d lifestyle and spanking to you, your thoughts on it at the time, and how she finally convinced you it was truly what she wanted and would benefit the both of you?

I tried to bring it up to my partner, but he just really doesn't want anything to do with it. Or so it seems.

~Thanks!