Taken In Hand

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Turning Turtle

Whenever a turtle feels threatened, they will withdraw into their shell, hiding from the world until they feel safe again. My tendency is to react in a similar way on an emotional level. Withdrawing into myself as my anxiety level rises.

My state of mind, these last several days, has been calm and peaceful. Placid like a calm sea, free of the undulations of depression or anxiety. This has made it easier for me to focus on communication, both speaking and listening. There is still plenty of room for improvement, but I'm making progress.

My next goal is to begin reintroducing more discipline into our lives (although my wife has been on her best behavior of late). I'll focus on correcting her speech, giving her "time-outs" if she needs to calm down, and if opportunities don't present themselves, then some form of maintenance discipline will be used to re-enforce our roles and responsibilities.

I've come to the conclusion that DD is like the race between the tortoise and the hare. A steady pace will win the race.

No comments: